Posted: March 3, 2023 | Updated: August 24, 2023
NOTICE AND CALL OF PUBLIC MEETING
GOVERNMENTAL BODY: THE CITY COUNCIL OF CRESCO, IOWA
DATE OF MEETING: MARCH 6, 2023
TIME AND PLACE OF MEETING: 5:30 P.M. CITY HALL, 130 N PARK PLACE
PUBLIC NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT THE ABOVE MENTIONED
GOVERNMENTAL BODY WILL MEET AT THE DATE, TIME AND PLACE SET OUT ABOVE. THE TENTATIVE AGENDA FOR SAID MEETING IS AS FOLLOWS:
ROLL CALL: KRIENER, McCONNELL, FORTUNE, BOUSKA, CARMAN
ACT ON THE CONSENT AGENDA: All items listed under the consent agenda will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a request is made prior to the time council votes on the motion.
- Approval of the Agenda
- Approval of the Claims
- Approval of Minutes from February 20, 2023
- Approval of Minutes from March 2, 2023 Informational Meetings
- Approval of Special Class B Retail Native Wine License for Plantpeddler, Inc d/b/a Plantpeddler
- Approval of Owner Occupied Housing Contractor Request for Payment #2-Final for $2,521.83 for Arlyn Skoda – Skoda Home Improvement
STAFF REPORTS: There may be action taken on each of the items listed below.
- Public Works
- Committee Updates
COMMENTS FROM AUDIENCE: (This portion of the agenda is for comments that are not related to one of the items listed on the agenda. Comments can only be received. No formal action by the Council can be taken. Those making public comments will be asked to state their name and address, and to speak from the podium.)
BUSINESS: There may be action taken on each of the items listed below.
- Tim Wilson of Dixon Engineering to Present Bids and make Recommendation for Award of Contract for the Water Tower Repairs and Repainting Project
- Resolution Approving Contract and Bond for the North Water Tower Repairs and Repainting, in and for the City of Cresco
- Daren Sikkink and Scott Huneke to Discuss Proposed Downtown Crosswalk Reconstruction Project
- Resolution Ordering Bids, Approving Plans, Specifications and Form of Contract and Notice to Bidders, Fixing Amount of Bid Security, and Ordering Clerk to Post Notice and Fixing a Date for Receiving Same, and for a Public Hearing on Plans, Specifications, Form of Contract and Estimate of Costs (for the Downtown Crosswalk Reconstruction)
- Daren Sikkink and Scott Huneke to Discuss Proposed 7th Street West Reconstruction Project
- Resolution Ordering Bids, Approving Plans, Specifications and Form of Contract and Notice to Bidders, Fixing Amount of Bid Security, and Ordering Clerk to Post Notice and Fixing a Date for Receiving Same, and for a Public Hearing on Plans, Specifications, Form of Contract and Estimate of Costs (for the 7th Street West Reconstruction)
- Kelly O’Donnell to Present 2022 IAMU Safety Group Dividend
- Resolution Authorizing the Mayor to Enter into an Information Technology Services Agreement – Statement of Work with Solutions, Inc.
- Resolution Authorizing the Mayor to Enter into a Website Design Contract with IROC Web Design Services
- Resolution Authorizing the Mayor to Sign an Agreement for DOT-Initiated Detour of Primary Highways onto Local Roads
- Recommendation of the Library Board to Appoint Joseph Kaletka for a Term Expiring 6/30/2025 (to Replace Sally Godwin)
- Request for Sewer Adjustment for Water not Entering the Sanitary Sewer System from Derik Hartz
- Set Public Hearing for Budget Amendment #2 for Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 2023
- Discuss Upcoming Expiration of Urban Renewal Areas for TIF
THIS NOTICE IS GIVEN AT THE DIRECTION OF THE MAYOR PURSUANT TO CHAPTER 21, CODE OF IOWA AND THE LOCAL RULES OF SAID GOVERNMENTAL BODY. POSTED MARCH 3, 2023.
Mayor Brenno called the Cresco City Council meeting to order on March 6, 2023, at 5:30 pm. Council Members Kriener, McConnell, Fortune, Bouska, and Carman were present. No council members were absent.
Mayor Brenno revised the agenda by moving item #7 Kelly O’Donnell to the first item of regular business. McConnell made the motion to approve the consent agenda which included approval of the: agenda (revised); claims; minutes from February 20, 2023; minutes from March 2, 2023 informational meetings; Special Class B Retail Native Wine License to Plantpeddler, Inc d/b/a Plantpeddler; Owner Occupied Housing Contractor Request for Payment #2-Final for $2,521.83 for Arlyn Skoda – Skoda Home Improvement. Bouska seconded and it passed all ayes.
Public Works Director Widell reported: (a) CIT will be here March 13th to start the contractual cleaning of sewer mains for everything east of Granger Road and north of 3rd Ave over to 7th Street East. Most of the work will be in alleys and manholes will be opened. Letters were mailed to affected property owners. We will try to keep the public informed of where they are working on a daily basis via Facebook, Mediacom, and the City’s website; (b) we were awarded an Alliant Energy Community Tree Program & One Million Trees grant of $4,500 for boulevard trees. The public is invited to call City Hall to request a free tree to be planted in their boulevard by March 31st; (c) Mehmert Tiling will replace a water main on 4th Street West in the next few weeks.
Police Chief Ruroden submitted his February report. They have been busy with funeral escorts, domestic disturbance calls, hospital/medical assist calls and warrants.
Deputy Clerk Hill reported (a) monthly financial reports were in the packet. We are 66% of the way into the fiscal year and revenues are at 64% while expenditures are at 54% so we are right on budget currently; (b) busy finishing up the budget and the budget amendment and following legislative changes; (c) we will be opening bids on March 20th for one of the last two Housing Rehab projects. The project needs to be completed by May 26th due to the contract with the State ending June 1, 2023. We have completed four other houses.
Mayor Brenno asked for comments from the audience and there were none.
Kelly O’Donnell presented the 2022 IAMU Safety Group dividend check for $5,851 and explained the program.
Tim Wilson of Dixon Engineering presented the bids for the water tower repairs and repainting project. Ten bids were received but two were late so were not considered. The bids were: LC United $813,500; Seven Brothers $884,900; TMI Coatings $1,061,000; Viking Industrial $769,750; MW Cole $733,000; BRZ Coatings $687,200; J.R. Stelzer Co $1,076,475; Osseo Con $789,000. Four line items (foundation repairs, Cadet logo, mixer, and cathodic protection system) were removed from the bid and the updated low bid was for BRZ Coatings for $601,200. The repairs will take about 6-8 weeks but the water supply for residents and businesses will not be impacted during that time.
Fortune made the motion to approve a resolution approving contract and bond for the North Water Tower Repairs and Repainting to BRZ Coatings Inc for $601,200. Kriener seconded and it passed all ayes.
Daren Sikkink and Scott Huneke presented a summary of the Downtown Crosswalk Reconstruction informational meeting. Most questions were regarding schedules, access to businesses, and elimination and relocating of the crosswalks and pedestrian ramps. Daren explained the mid-block areas are most challenging to get an ADA compliant route and the focus of the design was to keep the ramps at the intersections to make the whole project ADA compliant. Dr. Jeffrey & Shirlee Haw voiced concern about the distance that people with mobility issues would need to go to access their building, the optometrist, and hair stylists. The handicap parking areas will be closer to the ramps to allow easy access to the ramps and sidewalk.
Kriener made the motion to approve a resolution ordering bids, approving plans, specifications and form of contract and notice to bidders, fixing amount of bid security, and ordering clerk to post notice and fixing a date for receiving same and for a public hearing on plans, specifications, form of contract and estimate of costs for the Downtown Crosswalk Reconstruction. Bids will be due April 6, 2023 and possible award of contract on April 17th. McConnell seconded and it passed all ayes.
Daren Sikkink and Scott Huneke presented highlights from the 7th Street West Reconstruction informational meeting. Most concerns were regarding schedules, access, water drainage, and the storm sewer outlet. Mike Gooder stated that the natural watershed from the area north of the old railroad tracks is to go north instead of south. Daren explained there are several possible ways that they can adjust their plans for the stormwater discharge to the drainage basin. Other options will be discussed and Council feels that more information is needed in order to make a decision. The resolution ordering bids for the 7th Street West Project was tabled until other options are considered.
Bouska made the motion to approve a resolution authorizing the Mayor to enter into an Information Technology Services Agreement – Statement of Work with Solutions, Inc. Fortune seconded and it passed all ayes.
Carman made the motion to approve a resolution authorizing the Mayor to enter into a Website Design Contract with IROC Web Design Services. Bouska seconded and it passed all ayes.
Highway 9 will be closed for the Iowa DOT to replace a bridge west of Cresco from April to November 2023. Kriener made the motion to approve a resolution authorizing the Mayor to sign an agreement for a DOT-Initiated Detour of Primary Highways onto Local Roads. Bouska seconded and it passed all ayes.
Carman made the motion to approve the recommendation of the Library Board to appoint Joseph Kaletka for a term expiring 6/30/2025 to replace Sally Godwin. McConnell seconded and it passed all ayes.
Bouska made the motion to approve a sewer adjustment of $287.80 for water not entering the sanitary sewer system for Derik Hartz. Carman seconded and it passed all ayes.
McConnell made the motion to set the Public Hearing for March 20, 2023 for Budget Amendment #2 for fiscal year ending June 30, 2023. Kriener seconded and it passed all ayes.
City Clerk Elton explained that, due to the timing of the Urban Renewal areas expiring and the projects being awarded, that it would be difficult to have the areas amended for the projects to be used for TIF. We will wait to amend the Urban Renewal Plan and potentially add additional UR areas later this summer.
Bouska moved to adjourn at 7:43 pm. Carman seconded and it passed all ayes. The next regular Cresco City Council meeting will be March 20, 2023, at 5:30 pm at Cresco City Hall.
Mayor: David J. Brenno
City Clerk: Michelle Elton