Posted: January 3, 2020 | Updated: September 11, 2023
NOTICE AND CALL OF PUBLIC MEETING
GOVERNMENTAL BODY: THE CITY COUNCIL OF CRESCO, IOWA
DATE OF MEETING: JANUARY 20, 2020
TIME AND PLACE OF MEETING: 7:00 P.M. AT CRESCO CITY HALL
PUBLIC NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT THE ABOVE MENTIONED
GOVERNMENTAL BODY WILL MEET AT THE DATE, TIME AND PLACE SET OUT ABOVE. THE TENTATIVE AGENDA FOR SAID MEETING IS AS FOLLOWS:
ROLL CALL: BRENNO, McCARVILLE, FORTUNE, BOUSKA, CARMAN
ACT ON THE CONSENT AGENDA: All items listed under the consent agenda will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a request is made prior to the time council votes on the motion.
- Approval of the Agenda
- Approval of the Claims
- Approval of Minutes from January 6, 2020
- Approval of Minutes from January 15, 2020 Budget Worksession
- Approval of Class C Beer Permit (BC) and Class B Wine Permit with Sunday Sales for DOLGENCORP, LLC d/b/a Dollar General Store #2400
- Approval of Class C Liquor License (LC) (Commercial) with Catering Privilege and Sunday Sales for McAllister Catering LLC d/b/a McAllister Catering
- Approval of Pay Request #2 – Final for $2,624.00 for Grube Construction for Housing Rehab Project
- Approval of Pay Request #2 – Final for $50.00 for Slifka Plumbing Heating & Electric for Housing Rehab Project
- Approval of Pay Request #1 – Final for $1,700.00 for Hubka Radon Reduction for Housing Rehab Project
- Approval of Tree Surgeon Licenses for:
- Tim Walton d/b/a Tim Walton Tree Service
- Tarzan Tree Service LLC
STAFF REPORTS: There may be action taken on each of the items listed below.
- Public Works
- Committee Updates
BUSINESS: There may be action taken on each of the items listed below.
- Public Hearing to Amend the Code of Ordinances by Amending Chapter 74.05 Pertaining to Golf Carts and Utility Trail Vehicles (UTVs)
- Second Reading of Ordinance No. 481 Amending the Code of Ordinances by Amending Chapter 74.05 Pertaining to Golf Carts and Utility Trail Vehicles (UTVs)
- Resolution Waiving the Third Reading of Ordinance No. 481 and Consideration of Ordinance Number 481 Pertaining to Golf Carts and Utility Trail Vehicles (UTVs)
- Approval of Ordinance Number 481 Pertaining to Golf Carts and Utility Trail Vehicles (UTVs)
- Award of Hotel/Motel Tax Grants for Tourism
- Review Stump Grinding Quotes and Possible Award of Contract
COMMENTS FROM AUDIENCE:
THIS NOTICE IS GIVEN AT THE DIRECTION OF THE MAYOR PURSUANT TO CHAPTER 21, CODE OF IOWA AND THE LOCAL RULES OF SAID GOVERNMENTAL BODY. POSTED JANUARY 3, 2020.
Mayor Bohle called the Cresco City Council meeting to order on January 6, 2020, at 7:00 pm at City Hall. Council Members Brenno, McCarville, Fortune, Bouska, and Carman were present. No council members were absent.
Carman made the motion to approve the consent agenda which included approval of the: agenda; claims; minutes of the December 16, 2019 meeting; Class E Liquor License (LE), Class B Wine Permit, and Class C Beer Permit (carryout beer) with Sunday sales for Casey’s Marketing d/b/a Casey’s General Store #2511; Class C Liquor License (LC) (commercial) with catering privilege and Sunday sales for McAllister Catering LLC d/b/a McAllister Catering; Pay Request #2 – Final for $2,624.00 for Grube Construction for Housing Rehab Project; Pay Request #2 – Final for $50.00 for Slifka Plumbing Heating & Electric for Housing Rehab Project; Pay Request #1 – Final for $1,700.00 for Hubka Radon Reduction for Housing Rehab Project; Tree Surgeon Licenses for: Tim Walton d/b/a Tim Walton Tree Service, Tarzan Tree Service LLC. Brenno seconded and it passed all ayes.
Public Works Director Freidhof reported: (a) watermain is being installed to loop services near the old trailer court property; (b) water pumpage was high this weekend so they located and repaired a watermain break today; (c) he is compiling a list of homes that are vacant and empty lots for Jason Passmore to use when he is approached by potential developers; (d) the Iowa DOT does have grants available up to $5,000 for sign replacements.
Police Chief Ruroden reported they participated in a STEP program in December. The weather has been good so accidents are lower due to good driving conditions.
Freidhof reported for Administration: (a) Census Workers are still needed and increased the wage to $17.50/hour; (b) about 100 new accounts have enrolled in ACH payment of water bills and over 100 have enrolled in email billing; (c) Solutions will be installing a new server and computers in City Hall on Tuesday and Wednesday; (d) budget worksession with Department Heads will be Wednesday January 15, 2020 starting at 1 pm; (e) W-2’s are finished and working on 1099’s.
Library Director Cynthia Kay reported the Library will be closed January 16th for a staff in-service.
Mayor Bohle opened the Public Hearing to amend the Code of Ordinances by amending chapter 74.05 pertaining to golf carts and utility trail vehicles (UTVs). Council Member Fortune reported that he had been approached and requested to change the Ordinance to allow UTVs to be operated at night since they have headlights and brake lights. Police Chief Ruroden said he was not sure what the State thinks about night time driving and would like to research that more. Bouska was concerned with mufflers and loud vehicles at night. McCarville stated they all have mufflers now and all have lights. The public hearing was closed. The next three items on the agenda were deferred until more information is received.
Hotel/Motel Tax of $6,667.92 was received this quarter and three requests were made for $5,250. Brenno made the motion to approve the recommendation of the Cresco Tourism Advisory Committee and award grants to: Driftrunners Snowmobile Club $2,750; Brew & Stew $2,000; HC Business & Tourism for Upper Iowa Paddlers Guide $500. McCarville seconded and it passed all ayes.
Quotes for Stump Grinding for calendar year 2020 were opened and reviewed. Four quotes received were: Complete Tree $.76/inch; Wilson Custom Tree $.73/inch; Total Tree Care $.75/inch; Tim Walton Tree Service $.71/inch. Bouska made the motion to approve the low quote from Tim Walton Tree Service and award the contract. Fortune seconded and it passed all ayes.
Mayor Bohle asked for comments from the audience and there were none.
Carman moved to adjourn at 7:13 pm. Bouska seconded and it passed all ayes. The next regular Cresco City Council meeting will be January 20, 2020 at 7:00 pm at Cresco City Hall.
Mayor Mark Bohle
City Clerk Michelle Girolamo